What is Moving Mountains?
Moving Mountains is an opportunity for us as churches working together across Cumbria to unite in locally organised mission, outreach and evangelism. From 8 – 11 March 2018 we will be joined by teams led by Methodist District Chairs, URC Moderators, Bishops (drawn together by Archbishop Sentamu from the Northern Province) and Salvation Army District Commanders. We anticipate having about 30-35 such teams visiting the county composed of a mix of lay people, youth workers, ordinands and clergy. The essence of Moving Mountains is local churches planning and doing local mission. The events and style of the mission are decided at local church and area level, with the visiting mission team supporting what has been decided by churches.
What are the aims of the mission?
• Churches across Cumbria will be involved in the Mission
• Many of those attending events will be people not currently connected to a Christian community
• There will be a variety of different events in each group of churches, so that people who are at different stages on their journey of faith have a chance to move forward
• Churches will be running events in 2017 and 2019/20 as part of the Mission initiative through God for All
• Every group of churches will aim to run some form of Enquirers’ Course during the second half of 2018.
• There will be faith stories in all our churches arising from the Mission that can be told.
Launch events and resources
A series of five launch events have been held across the county, giving people an opportunity to hear about some of the objectives behind the Moving Mountains mission, understand further how we can all get involved and listen to your ideas about mission and outreach in the places where you live and worship. They aim to give people the chance to help shape this mission at the earliest opportunity, and to share with us how you would like to see Moving Mountains develop. To put it simply, this is about local churches being involved in local mission. Downloadable material from the launch events is available on the right hand side of this page.