Big Reach Innovator
Seeing lots of children and families at church has to be one of the nicest things about church at Christmas. Why not use some of these ideas and resources to help make your church services even more enjoyable and memorable for the children and families who attend.
- Why not give each child a small Christmas present, it needn’t be expensive. How about some gold coins, or a sticker album, which can be sourced from places like Poundland.
- Why not order some free Christmas story books to distribute. Bible Society and Scripture Union both produce low cost/free books aimed at primary school-aged children.
- Why not have some activity story bags available to engage families in parts of the Christmas story.
- Think about having a basket of lego and challenging them to create a scene from the Christmas story.
- Put together a nativity ‘discovery box’ for under 5’s to access http://flamecreativekids.blogspot.com/2015/11/easy-nativity-discovery-box-for-under-5s.html
- print off & laminate a couple of playdough mats for a creative prayer station.
- The All age worship website has free material for use at Advent, Christmas Eve (crib services), and Christmas Day services, as well as seasonal puppet scripts, dramas, and prayer stations.
- Life church have lots of resources for children’s work – including activities for planning a ‘Kids Christmas party’ which could be adapted for Sunday School session, ‘The first Christmas gift’ for pre-school aged children, and ‘God is my Dad’ for secondary school aged children.
- Children’s Society Christingle resources
- Bloomsbury Baptist Church have created https://www.christmas.org.uk a website full of Christmas ideas for churches
- Great Commission has collated more than 20 Christmas outreach resources helping you and your church to share Jesus with those around you at this special time of year. www.greatcommission.co.uk/christmas
- Scripture Union have launched a new initiative, ‘A 95 Christmas’. It’s aimed at helping churches to reach out to the 95% of children and young people who don’t go to church. Filled with ideas and advice for how to share the real Christmas story with the children and young people in your community, why not break the mould of your usual Christmas activities and see how you could impact your community this Christmas?
- The Bible Society have new resources for 2019, including a brand new ‘instant’ nativity, story booklet and more. https://www.biblesociety.org.uk/get-involved/christmas/
Youth, Children and Families